Book Club @ MCL

Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

We read and listened to Ms Didion's book, the Year of Magical Thinking and both book clubs praised the book and were amazed at the the words and "the music". I am a fan of Joan Didion and she can do nothing to alter my devotion to her. That may sound over the top...but, I have been a fan since the first book that I read by her; Play It As It Lays. And, I have looked forward to anything and everything she writes. I have to admit that her nonfiction pleases more than her novels. I read her when I was a young woman and now I am old...I feel we have aged together on this planet.
I am looking forward to her next book; Blue Nights.
I have read other bloggers that hold her in high esteem (as I do) and some bloggers who think she is "cold" and" icy".
Obviously, I do not agree with the latter blogggers. I do not know of any other author who gives so much of herself and yet, does it truthfully and boldly. Perhps some think that is "cold" but that is the best journalism/writing.
"the question of pity...".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home